How it works:
- Version 1: unofficial taxi touts who claim that there is no more bus or that buses are not operating today, and that you should take their taxi.
- Version 2: they may claim that your hotehl is closed as well and bring you to another.
Places to beware:
- Alajuela: Juan Santamaria International Airport
- Guanacaste: Tamarindo
- Limon: ports
- Puntarenas: ports
- San Jose: Coca-Cola Bus Station, inner downtown district
What to do:
- Official taxis: red in color and have a yellow triangle painted on the sides. Their car plate indicates the they are licensed to work at – e.g. TSJ in San Jose, TH in Heredia, etc. At San Jose Airport, taxis are orange and you can buy a taxi voucher from the official booth.
- Alternatives: taxi booking app (e.g. Easy Taxi, Uber), or day tour platforms like GetYourGuide (leading globally) with 20+ trasport options.
- Keep a separate bank account just for traveling with not much cash in there. Only carry a bank card of that account to limit losses if kidnapped or robbed.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.