How it works:
- There are both counterfeit Costa Rican colones and USD circulating in the country.
- For Costa Rica colones, the most commonly forged is the 10,000 bill, followed by the 20,000 and 2,000 bills.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Touch: feel the texture of the Mil Colones text and the numbers (e.g. 20,000).
- Watch: hold it against the light. The watermark image of President Alfredo González should look exactly on both the left and right.
- Turn: by turning the notes, a movement effect can be observed in the symbols printed in the security thread. There will also be a change in color in the Costa Rican map at the top right.