How it works:
- Corrupt officers who work at checkpoints will stop you, accuse you of an offence and ask you to pay a fine on the spot.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (routes to and from the airport and touristy areas)
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, insist on receiving a ticket (you need this to file a complaint), to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.