How it works:
- Situation: there are crooks who wait at the “arrivals” area to intercept tourists.
- Opening: they ask if you have pre-arranged transport. If you have but have not seen them yet, he offers to help you call the company.
- Set-up: he calls the company and claims that you do not need them anymore. Next he tells you that your transport has broken down. Instead of waiting, he offers to drive you.
Places to beware:
- Alajuela: Juan Santamaría International Airport
What to do:
- Get your driver’s name and contact – contact him directly instead of through a tout.