How it works:
- Street, mall, shop, park: distracting and snatching from you, then escaping via a getaway car or down a street corner.
- Bar, restaurant: stealing unattended bags/valuables on the chair or table.
- Parked car: smashing your window and stealing exposed bags/valuables/car parts.
- ATM: one taps your shoulders as you are withdrawing money, claiming that you have dropped a $10 note. Once you turn, another grabs your cash and card.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. Victoria: Bastion Square)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft - check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.