How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Calgary: Calgary Stampede, Kensington
- Montreal: Notre-Dame Basilica, Old Montreal, Jean-Talon Market, Rue Ste.-Catherine, Montreal Metro, Little Italy
- Niagara Falls: Niagara Falls, Journey Behind the Falls, Clifton Hill, Botanical Gardens, The Great Canadian Midway
- Toronto: St. Lawrence Market, CN Tower, CF Toronto Eaton Centre, Kensington Market and Spadina Avenue, Nathan Phillips Square, Yonge-Dundas Square, Toronto Union
- Vancouver: Vancouver Downtown, English Bay, Gastown, Steam Clock, Vancouver Public Library (Central Library Branch)
- Winnipeg: The Forks National Historic Site
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.