How it works:
- Version 1: a group of Filipinos claims to represent the “Children Joy Foundation” – this is a legitimate charity, but the scammers are not. Happens in Japan as well.
- Version 2: female scammers carry their clipboards and hound people to donate to pay to support girls in the community.
- Version 3: someone passes you a Reese’s cup/chocolate bar and then ask for a donation for “Canadian sports”.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. shopping malls, busy streets, grocery stores, universities in Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Mississauga, Waterloo, etc)
What to do:
- If you want to help, donate to established charities instead – here is a list of registered charities in Canada maintained by the Canada Revenue Agency.