How it works:
- Version 1: you may encounter touts trying to sell you tours (usually low quality ones).
- Version 2: you may encounter an unsolicited unlicensed guide who walks with you, seemingly giving you a “free” tour (which generally isn’t useful), only to demand an inflated fee halfway through.
Places to beware:
- Belize City: Belize Tourism Village
- Caye Caulker
What to do:
- There may be good unofficial guides – test them for a minute before committing. In general however, they are not worth it. Get a licensed guide instead:
- The Belize Tourism Board shows a list of these guides.