How it works:
- Version 1: some drivers will lie so as to bring you to places when they get a commission – usually places selling low quality products at inflated prices.
- Version 2: as no meters are used here, some will quote you inflated flat fares.
- Version 3: quoting a price without currency, only to tell you at the end it is in USD and not Belizean dollar.
Places to beware:
- Belize City: Philip S. W. Goldson International Airport
- San Pedro: John Greif II Airport
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots (e.g. Belize Marine Terminal). Also avoid heading to recommended places if you have not done any research.
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps (e.g. MiDriVa). Clarify the currency.