How it works:
- Situation: theft of credit card information can happen in various ways, for instance via a rigged ATM, rigged card scanner, a rogue employee, or simply poor data protection practices by vendors.
- Example: in 2014, two tourists had fraudulent charges linked to “Ethan’s Vege Store/Mark Supermarket” after using their cards at a local golf cart rental. It was later discovered that sensitive data was not properly protected at the golf cart rental (left on the table) allowing fraudsters from Ethan’s Vege Store to capture them.
Places to beware:
- Belize City, San Pedro (credit card fraud rings allegedly active here)
What to do:
- Always keep your card in your line of sight. Set up daily usage limits and (SMS/email) notification for every transaction that is processed.
- If your details are written down, grill the vendor to make sure they are secured.