How it works:
- Version 1: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
- Version 2: at bars, girls in skimpy attire target drunk men by dancing with you/touching you and then stealing whatever she can find from your pockets.
Places to beware:
- Bridgetown: Baxter’s Road
- Festivals: Crop Over festival; late night street parties
- Oistin: Oistin’s Friday Night Fish Fry
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.