How it works:
- Situation: the vast majority of tourists would probably not fall for this but on the off-chance that you do, you need to know how to spot the red flags.
- Version 1: skimmer is attached over the card slot to capture your details to clone your card. A camera/keypad overlay is installed to capture your PIN.
- Version 2: card slot is rigged to not release your card. When you are distracted, scammer comes over to release and steal your card. Or scammer tells you to retype your PIN to release it (it doesn’t) so as to see your PIN. Once you are distracted, he grabs and go.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Avoid ATMs at dark, secluded areas. Use at controlled environments such as in banks.
- Scan the area for suspicious looking characters, look out for red flags of a rigged ATM and cover your PIN when typing it in.