How it works:
- Opening: these tend to be touts who intercept you at the airport or at a port before you reach the official taxi line offering to help you skip the queue.
- Set-up: you will probably end up being overcharged. There have also been cases of collusion with criminals who then rob you, though that is not a common occurrence.
Places to beware:
- Paradise Island
What to do:
- Situation: some may be fine and are even cheaper, but you have to accept the risks (overcharging, no insurance coverage, beaten down car, potentially being robbed).
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Official taxis: yellow license plates.
- Alternatives: taxi booking apps (e.g. Bahamas Ride).