How it works:
- Situation: fraudulent tour operators advertise timeshares and property listings which they do not own.
- Red flags: unbelievable prices, dodgy/no reviews, copy-pasted/illogical sounding ads, payment via payment to a foreign bank account/Western Union/MoneyGram, lack of detailed information provided.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. fly by night operators)
What to do:
- Interrogate: are they licensed (e.g. with Aruba Tourism Authority, Aruba Hotel and Tourism Association)? Dig into details of the property (e.g. room dimensions), ask for a tour of the place, pretend something exists and ask this to test the operator, etc.
- Platform: use one with buyer protection rights: e.g. Booking.com (Frommer’s tests found it to have the best selection and rates).