How it works:
- Two versions: strike and run; distract and grab. Possible scenarios:
- Beach: stealing unattended bags/valuables from tourists who are relaxed or in the water.
- Hotel, airport: where distracted/tired tourists carry all their valuables out.
- Parked car: breaking in and stealing valuables, bags or car parts.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. Eagle Beach)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft - check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.