How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Ankara: Ankara Citadel (Hisar)
- Antalya: Kleopatra Beach, Alanya Kalesi
- Cappadocia: Cappadocia Cave Dwellings
- Istanbul: Hagia Sophia Museum / Church (Ayasofya), Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Sultanahmet District, Historic Areas of Istanbul, Bosphorus Strait, Galata Tower, Basilica Cistern, Ortakoy, Grand Bazaar, Sultanahmet Square, Galata Bridge, Istiklal Street, Eminonu Square, Fatih Mosque and Complex, Beyoglu, Rustem Pasha Mosque, Taksim Square, Hippodrome (At Meydani)
- Izmir: Kemeralti Market, Ancient City of Ephesus, Konak Square
- Konya: Mevlana Museum
- Kusadasi: Ladies Beach, Kusadasi Market
- Marmaris: Saklikent Milli Parki, Marmaris Marina, Dancing Fountains, Bar Street Marmaris
- Pamukkale: Cleopatra Pools
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft (e.g. World Nomads, trusted by Lonely Planet and National Geographic – review).