How it works:
- Situation: there are fly by night tour agencies which sell non-existent tours or overpriced tours of low quality and with little safety consideration.
- Set-up: they may pass themselves off as being associated with established brands (e.g. Turkish Airlines) such as by creating fake websites with fake contact numbers of established brands.
Places to beware:
- Examples: Sanlier Travel Agency, TTM Tourism, etc
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed (check TÜRSAB site)? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Cappadocia hot air balloon flight, highlights of Istanbul, Whirling Dervishes Show, etc).
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.