How it works:
- Situation: there are fly by night tour agencies which sell non-existent tours or overpriced tours of low quality and with little safety consideration.
- Set-up: they may pass themselves off as being associated with established brands (e.g. Turkish Airlines) such as by creating fake websites with fake contact numbers of established brands.
Places to beware:
- Examples: Sanlier Travel Agency, TTM Tourism, etc
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask - is the operator licensed (check TÜRSAB site)? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover - is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Cappadocia hot air balloon flight, highlights of Istanbul, Whirling Dervishes Show, etc), or check out this page for the best tours in Turkey.
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.