How it works:
- With the increase of taxes on alcohol over the years, fake alcohol has become a lucrative business and death rates from fake alcohol rise every year.
- Raki, the unofficial national drink, is a popular target of counterfeiters, though others like whisky are being faked as well.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- If you want to be extra safe, drink from a bottle rather than from a glass.
- Look out for:
- Taste, smell, look: if it smells bad or smells like nail varnish, alarm bells should ring. It should also be clear.
- Seal: should not be broken and should have a serial number. For raki, if you shine a light, you should see orange and blue lines.
- Packaging: spelling mistakes, lack of duty stamp.
- Others: those sold by street touts, those sold at extremely low prices.