How it works:
- Two versions: Strike and run, distract and grab. Possible scenarios:
- Bar, restaurant: stealing unattended bags/valuables on the chair or table.
- Hotel, airport: where distracted/tired tourists carry all their valuables out.
- Street, mall, shop, park, transportation hub: distracting and snatching from you, then escaping via a getaway car or down a street corner.
- Car break-ins: breaking into parked cars with exposed valuables.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. Stockholm: Rinkeby, suburbs on the far south end of the red metro line’s Norsborg branch, as well as the far north end of the blue line; northern parts of the city (Angered, Hammarkullen, Kortedala, Bergsjön) as well as the outskirts of Hisingen; areas around Södra Sofielund (South Sofielund) and Rosengård)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.