How it works:
- Version 1: you are asked to sign a petition. On the form, you see several other entries (fake – there to make it seem credible). Signing basically means you agree to donate to a charity (fake – no such charity) and money will be demanded.
- Version 2: while you argue and refuse to donate, once you are distracted, an accomplice will pick your pockets.
- Version 3: you may encounter kids asking if you can help with a school survey. What happens next is the same.
Places to beware:
- Barcelona: Basilica of the Sagrada Familia, Parc de la Ciutadella
- Benidorm: Benidorm Old Town
- Lanzarote: Playa Blanca
- Madrid: Retiro Park, Plaza Mayor, Royal Palace of Madrid
- Mallorca: Playa de Alcudia
What to do: