How it works:
- Version 1 (counterfeit money): a first scammer posing as a tourist asks you for directions. Next, two fake officers appear, claim that the first guy is known for spreading counterfeit currency and demands to check your wallet.
- Version 2 (drugs): the fake officer can also claim that the first guy is a drug trafficker and so demands to check your bag.
Places to beware:
- Barcelona: Parc de la Ciutadella
- Madrid: Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport - only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.