How it works:
- Opening: someone approaches you with a wallet/purse with cash inside and asks if it’s yours.
- Set-up: if you accept it, two other accomplices, posing as fake police, will appear and accuse you of stealing. They proceed to “fine” you, or demand to check your valuables then steal them.
Places to beware:
- Kranjska: Kranjska Gora
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.