How it works:
- Overview: actually, the local pickpockets are rather well recognized by local shopkeepers. However, not much action is being done to clamp down on them
- Modus operandi: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes. These pickpockets can also act like tourists as well and use a cover of taking photos to get close or to distract you.
Places to beware:
- Bratislava: Bratislava Old Town, Bratislava Castle, Devin Castle, MichalskaBrana, bus stations, train stations, trams, Christmas markets, ZlatyPiesky
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.