How it works:
- Private cars are those with a white marker on top that does not list the name of any company. You can be charged a very inflated fare (3-5x) if you were to take one either by an inflated quote or by a rigged meter.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Situation: some may be fine and are even cheaper, but you have to accept the risks (overcharging, no insurance coverage, beaten down car, potentially being robbed).
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Official taxis: oval blue license plate with a TX at the end of the registration plate, a “radio” sign, illuminated roof sign with a city coat of arms and a number. Look out for cabs from reputable companies such as Pink Taxi, Lux Taxi, Naxis, BeogradskiPoslovni Taxi. Note that some fake cabs use a registration plate like IT and then hide the upper parts of the plate to make it seem like TX.
- Alternatives: use taxi booking apps (e.g. Car:go) or day tour platforms like GetYourGuide (best in Europe).
- Recourse: ask for a receipt and threaten to report to the police with your photos.