How it works:
- Overview: fortunately, violent crime and robberies are very rare in Serbia. Although there is organized crime, tourists and the general population are generally not targeted. That said, like in any European countries, there is a problem of pickpockets and you have to be wary.
- Modus operandi: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Belgrade: The Belgrade Fortress, KnezMihailova, Republic Square, markets, buses, trains
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.