How it works:
- A stranger (accomplice of fake police), seemingly a fellow traveler asks you for helping in taking a photo of him.
- Next, two fake officers appear, flash their badges then demand to check you bag as part of a routine investigation.
- They may also claim to suspect you both of committing a crime.
- The stranger will comply and encourage you to do so. If you do, any valuables they can find will be stolen.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.