How it works:
- Version 1 (ATM): card skimmer installed to capture your card details, pinhole camera/keypad over installed to capture your PIN.
- Version 2 (ATM): card slot is rigged with a device to trap your card. When you find your card stuck, scammer tells you to type your PIN thrice to eject it. This is false – a trick to see your PIN. If you head somewhere to seek help, the scammer will release your card and escape.
- Anywhere (e.g. Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow)
What to do:
- Avoid using ATMs at dark, secluded areas. Use only at controlled environments (e.g. banks).
- Scan the area for suspicious looking characters, look out for red flags of a rigged ATM and cover your PIN when typing it in.
- Always keep your card in your line of sight and set up SMS notification whenever a transaction is processed.