How it works:
- Opening: a girl approaches, asks for directions then asks if you want to get drinks together at her favourite bars in the area.
- Set-up: at the bar, expensive lady drinks will be ordered on your tab (without you realizing), and food will be served. At the end, you will be hit with an inflated bill.
Places to beware:
- St. Petersburg
What to do:
- Avoid: heading to a suggested bar together with a random stranger.
- If not, consider: does the bar seem legitimate? Are there customers? Is the stranger evasive about things? Is he/she only bringing you to a particular restaurant or bar?
- Test your new “friend”: pretend you have company by suggesting to go another place where you have friends at. Ask for prices before ordering. Take a photo together.
- If scammed: threaten to call the police, pay with a credit card but call immediately to dispute the charges. Keep a separate bank account with little cash to limit your losses if threatened.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (best day tour platform in Europe) has some pub crawls.