How it works:
- Taking a ride from an unlicensed taxi puts you at risk of extortion, kidnapping and assault.
- Further, they probably would not have any insurance coverage.
Places to beware:
- St. Petersburg
What to do:
- Situation: some may be fine and are even cheaper, but you have to accept the risks (overcharging, no insurance coverage, beaten down car, potentially being robbed).
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Official taxis: get the official dispatcher to call one for you. They are yellow or black in color, with a taxi sign and a working meter.
- Alternatives: taxi booking apps (e.g. Yandex, Gett) or day tour platforms like GetYourGuide (best in Europe) with 10+ transport options.