How it works:
- Taxis here do not use meters. If you do not speak Russian, you will probably be quoted an inflated flat fare.
- For instance, a Chilean journalist was charged $900 for a ride from the Domodedovo airport to his hotel in the city – 50x the real price!
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. tourist attractions, hotels, airports, transportation hubs)
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots (e.g. Moscow: Red Square).
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps (e.g. Yandex, Gett).
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (best day tour platform in Europe) has 40+ transport options.