How it works:
- Situation: this is more of a problem in the 1990s than today (rare/isolated cases today), though one still has to know how to react when faced with such a situation.
- Opening: a fake policeman flashes his wallet/fake police ID, then asks to see your passport/ID/personal identification.
- Set-up: next, he will ask to inspect your money/wallet. If you allow, he will steal notes from your wallet with sleight of hand.
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.