How it works:
- Two versions: strike and run; distract and grab. Possible scenarios:
- Bike/moped: riding past with a pillion rider doing the snatch.
- Beach, restaurant: stealing unattended bags/valuables on the chair or table.
- Hotel, airport: where distracted/tired tourists carry all their valuables out.
- Car: a thief breaks into your parked car, or someone distracts you (e.g. asking for directions) and another steals from your car; unofficial car park attendants.
- ATM: snatching after cash is dispensed from the machine (e.g. Lisbon: Cais do Sodre).
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. beachfront areas of Guincho, Ericeira, Cabo da Roca, Boca do Inferno and in the Algarve )
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.