How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it's generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Version 1: adding hidden/ridiculous fees: e.g. fee for sitting outside, extra service charge).
- Version 2: claiming that the credit card machine is broken – this is because they do not want you to dispute the charge with your bank.
- Version 3: luring you in with a menu with cheap prices, then steering you towards getting a meal of the day/dishes not on that menu (but on another menu which they did not show you). These are low quality food which is priced exorbitantly.
- Version 4: bringing you food that you did not order or short-change you.
Places to beware:
- Lisbon: Tiagu, Made in Correeiros (run by an ex-pickpocket), Obrigado Lisboa, Lisboa No Prato, Taverna del Rey, Costa Vicentina, Restaurante Adamator, Lisbon
- Porto: Adega do Conde, etc
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps like Resto.be) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (best day tours platform in Europe) has a couple of food tours.