How it works:
- Scam 1: at Mercado dos Lavradores, some stall vendors inject sweeteners into fruit samples to make you think that their fruits are good.
- Scam 2: should you buy, they will pass you old fruits instead. Some even add in fruits which you did not order to jack up the price.
- Scam 3: advertised prices can be misleading as well. You think it costs $x for a fruit, but it actually refers to $x/100 g.
Places to beware:
- Funchal: Mercado dos Lavradores
What to do:
- If you wish to buy, pick your own fruits, check the price and check your fruits after paying.