How it works:
- Version 1: charging an inflated flat fare.
- Version 2: quote a cheap price initially, only to jack up the price halfway on a highway or stopping in a secluded area.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Situation: some may be fine and are even cheaper, but you have to accept the risks (overcharging, no insurance coverage, beaten down car, potentially being robbed).
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Official taxis: get one at the official taxi ranks. They are either yellow or white in color, with a taxi sign on roof and a working meter.
- Alternatives: taxi booking apps (e.g. Uber, Neptun, EcoCar, Dajan) or day tour platforms like GetYourGuide (best in Europe) with 60+ transport options.