How it works:
- Opening: two scammers posing as police officers approach and claim to be checking for counterfeit currency or identification. They then ask you to produce your ID, credit cards and even PIN numbers!
- Set-up: as they check your wallet, they may simply do a grab or run, or one will distract you and another will steal some notes and cards.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.