How it works:
- Situation: In 2018, the Human Environment and Transport inspectorate estimated that in Amsterdam alone, there were over 20 illegal taxi companies with each having 20-100 taxis.
- Version 1: quoting an inflated flat fare.
- Version 2: quoting a cheap flat fare initially but driving you to a secluded place and then coercing you to pay a higher sum.
Places to beware:
- Amsterdam: tourist areas, airport
What to do:
- Take official taxis: roof light displaying operator name, blue number plate, working meter.
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Alternatives: taxi booking apps (e.g. UGo, appAcab, Uber, taxi.eu, Staxi) or day tour platforms like GetYourGuide (best in Europe) with 20+ transport options.