How it works:
- Two versions: strike and run; distract and grab. Possible scenarios:
- Bar, restaurant: stealing unattended bags/valuables on the chair or table; laying a map over valuables on the table and swiping them while asking for directions.
- Hotel, airport: where you carry all your valuables out. One trick is to throw coins onto the ground. If you assist in picking them up, someone steals your luggage.
- Dark alley: someone claims to have a gun and demands you hand your cash over.
- ATM: snatching after cash is dispensed from the machine.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. tourist attractions, hotels, restaurants, clubs, bars)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.