How it works:
- Version 1: one blocks you at the door (ties shoelaces/drops something), another steals from behind and slips to a third who escapes, and one blocks others from seeing the act.
- Version 2: someone snatches your stuff and jumps out just before the doors close.
- Version 3: at escalators, they trip or bump into you. Next moment, your valuables are gone.
Places to beware:
- Amsterdam: Tram 5 (between Centraal Station and Amstelveen) is infamous with ~40% of cases as the route passes by many hotels and tourist attractions, Centraal Station
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft (e.g. World Nomads, trusted by Lonely Planet and National Geographic – review).