How it works:
- Scammers posing as fake cops accuse you of possessing drugs or counterfeit currency. You are then asked to pay a fine on the spot with no receipt.
- When you show your real bills to protest your innocence, they may use sleight of hand to swap it with counterfeit ones.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police hotline. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Insist you will only comply at a police station with a lawyer or someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.