How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Marsaxlokk: Marsaxlokk Bay
- Saint Julian’s: Paceville
- Valletta: Barrakka Lift, Triton Fountains, St. John’s Co-Cathedral, Valletta Ferry Services, Upper Barrakka Gardens, Valletta Waterfront, San Anton Gardens, Saluting Battery, buses 13, 14, 15, 16
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.