How it works:
- Version 1: a tout offers you a free ticket to a club.
- Version 2: a scammer posing as a fellow tourist approaches you on the streets and asks if you would like to get a drink, who then brings you to you a strip club.
- There, girls will join you and order expensive lady drinks (basically diluted drinks) on your tab. If you refuse to pay, you will be escorted to the nearby ATM by burly men.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Avoid: heading to a suggested bar together with a random stranger.
- If not, consider: does the bar seem legitimate? Are there customers? Is the stranger evasive about things? Is he/she only bringing you to a particular restaurant or bar?
- Test your new “friend”: pretend you have company by suggesting to go another place where you have friends at. Ask for prices before ordering. Take a photo together.
- If scammed: pay with a credit card but call the bank to dispute the charges immediately. Keep a separate bank account with not much cash inside to limit your losses if threatened.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (best day tour platform in Europe) has some pub crawls.