How it works:
- There are unofficial cabs which operate without license and without the appropriate insurance coverage.
- Some are also blatant rip-offs, where they charge a high flat fare. Some may charge a low fee to entice you, only to add on multiple charges on top of it.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Situation: some may be fine and are even cheaper, but you have to accept the risks (overcharging, no insurance coverage, beaten down car, potentially being robbed).
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Official taxis: get one at the official taxi ranks. They are either yellow or white in color, with a taxi sign on roof and a working meter.
- Alternatives: taxi booking apps (e.g. MyTaxi, Uber, itTaxi) or day tour platforms like GetYourGuide (best in Europe) with 370+ transport options.