How it works:
- Opening: a scammer posing as a tourist claims to have a skip the line ticket which starts in a few hours’ time. However, something cropped up and she cannot make the timing.
- Set-up: if you can pay her a deposit, she will meet and pass you the ticket at the allocated time slot. She either disappears after collecting the deposit, shows up but charges you more than the face value of the ticket or gives you the lowest tier ticket or a fake ticket.
Places to beware:
- Genoa: Aquarium of Genoa
- Florence: Piazzale Michelangelo, Accademia Gallery, Piazza del Duomo
- Milan: Piazza del Duomo
- Rome: Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
What to do:
- Buy direct from company/official counters or licensed retailers.
- Alternatively, online day tour platforms like GetYourGuide (best in Europe) also has many bestselling tickets (e.g. Saint Peter Basilica, Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, etc), or check out this page for the best tours in Italy.