How it works:
- Two versions: strike and run; distract and grab. Possible scenarios:
- Streets: bikes/mopeds riding past, with a pillion rider doing the snatch.
- Market: snatching from behind you, then running into a getaway car to escape.
- Bar, restaurant: stealing unattended bags/valuables on the chair or table.
- Train station, airport: where distracted/tired tourists carry all their valuables out.
- Car: breaking into parked cars (e.g. carpark at Pisa; Catania).
- Train: stealing unattended bags from the overhead compartment.
- ATM: someone taps you from behind claiming you have dropped cash, so an accomplice can snatch your cash once you are distracted.
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.