How it works:
- Version 1: at the San Siro stadium in Milan, unofficial parking attendants will direct you to park at a distance away from the real car park. A €10 parking fee is then demanded from you for this “private” parking spot.
- Version 2: in Genoa, scammers help you get a ticket, but do not pass it over unless you give a tip.
- Version 3: in Pisa, gypsies posing as car park attendants collect a super inflated fee from you to buy parking tickets which you can get for yourself from the machine;
- Version 4: in Pisa, African hawkers offer to help look after your car if you buy something from them. Else they threaten to damage your car.
Places to beware:
- Milan: Stadio Giuseppe Meazza (San Siro)
- Pisa: Leaning Tower of Pisa
What to do:
- At the San Siro stadium, head to the stadium’s parking spots (€2) or the ample free parking space around the area.
- Buy your own parking ticket and do not feel threatened.