How it works:
- A gypsy finds a gold ring on the floor, points at the “18k” hallmark on the ring and offers it to you (it is actually worthless polished brass).
- She asks if it’s yours, if you say no, she will suggest giving to your wife as it will make her happy. She also claims that her religion forbids keeping the ring.
- If you take it, she will share a sob story (e.g. robbed, poor), and asks if you can spare some money for her to buy food.
- The more scheming ones will have an accomplice steal from you while you are distracted.
Places to beware:
- Rome: Roman Forum
What to do:
- Decline, if it’s not yours, don’t take it.