How it works:
- Besides fake tax police, there are fake police officers as well.
- They will ask to check your valuables on the pretext of checking for counterfeit currency or drugs. What happens is that some or all of your cash will be grabbed.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.