How it works:
- Situation: the Guardia di Finanza’s, or tax police’s job is to ensure shops give out receipts which serve as a record for tax collection. They do so by asking customers to produce a receipt when you exit a shop.
- Set-up: as they can be in plainclothes, there are scammers posing as them asking to check your receipt. They then accuse you of a crime and demand you pay a fine.
- Note: there are fake police as well.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.