How it works:
- Someone spills a white liquid resembling bird poo on your clothes or jacket.
- Next, strangers appear out of nowhere to help you clean it. While you are distracted, they pick your pockets or steal any unattended bags.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- React: push away anyone who tries to get close, quickly move to a safe spot and while doing so, check that your valuables are still intact.
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft - check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.